..:♥:.. [The contemplations of one former prodigal.] ..:♥:.. [love.] ..:♥:.. [life.] ..:♥:.. [and other random musings.] ..:♥:..


11 March 2014

Missing my Grandpapa...

I miss my Grandpapa. I have so many fond memories of him from when I was a little girl. As I got older, into my twenties and thirties, I didn't see him much. In fact, when he died five years ago I hadn't seen him in over ten years. I have regrets. I wish I would have spent more time with him. He was an amazing man. I miss him dearly. All I have left is my memories and his obituary.

 
 
RANDOLPH, Roger, 75, passed unexpectedly January 19, 2009. Forty five year resident of Tampa, where he and his wife, JoAnn, raised their seven children. He was a U.S. Army Korean War Veteran, where he served as a Second Lieutenant. He was an avid sports fan & fisherman. He was devoted brother of the Pi Kappa Phi Fraternity at Florida State University where he recently received the Golden Legion Certificate. He received a BA from the University of South Florida. Retired from General Cable Corporation after nearly 30 years. Realtor for over 20 years with Prudential Tropical Realty. He was preceded in death by his son, Robb. He is survived by his loving wife of 46 years, JoAnn; sons, Peter and Craig Randolph; daughters, Angela Randolph, Laura Johnson, Julia Tiberi, Lynn Randolph-Franzen; brother, Ray Randolph; and fifteen grandchildren. The funeral service will be held 4 pm Friday, January 23, 2009 at the Blount & Curry Funeral Home-Carrollwood Chapel, 3207 W. Bearss Avenue, Tampa. The family will receive friends 2 hours prior to the service. Private internment later. In lieu of flowers, the family asks that contributions may be made to the Roger Randolph Foundation, at any Bank of America branch. The Foundation is established to promote academic and athletic excellence in youth.
To make a contribution, please send to:
Bank of America
Roger Randolph Foundation
c/o Westshore Mall
100 N. Westshore Blvd.
Tampa, Fl. 33609
 
I was scrolling through my newsfeed on Facebook and saw a post about an awesome obituary that a man wrote himself: http://twentytwowords.com/read-this-grandpas-funny-self-written-obituary-and-then-go-be-kind-to-someone-in-his-name/. The man was also a veteran of the Korean War and it made me think of my Grandpapa Roger.  I like the end of the obituary and I think my Grandpapa would have liked it too.
 
"Instead of flowers, Walt would hope that you would do an unexpected and unsolicited act of kindness for some poor unfortunate soul in his name."


I love you Grandpapa. Can't wait to see you again on the other side. <3

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this sis. I was just talking to a coworker about Grandpapa the other day. I never got to see this obituary before. Love you.

Krysta