..:♥:.. [The contemplations of one former prodigal.] ..:♥:.. [love.] ..:♥:.. [life.] ..:♥:.. [and other random musings.] ..:♥:..


10 February 2012

Not Without Love!



..:♥:..

“If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.”


“If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.”


“If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.”
-1 Corinthians 13:1-3, NIV

God has been dealing with me lately on showing love to those who are “difficult.”  I am greatly humbled and extremely challenged by this because I know that in the past there were [and perhaps still are] times when I was considered “difficult” myself.  I realize this negativity, this bitterness, this selfishness [heck, let’s call it what it is: this pride] comes from old soul wounds and really has nothing to do with the current “difficult” person.  But something about the woundedness in me reacts like oil and water to the woundedness in them.  I begin to resent them because of their bitterness and negativity towards me and others...then I begin to withhold showing them any love…then what does that make me???
Aaarrrggghhh!


The sad part is that my relationship with God and my growing understanding of Him has given me a genuine love for all people. I have a deep sense of the worth of every individual now.  He has also gifted me with great compassion.  But...in spite of it all...I still have a hard time showing love to those who consistently fail to show any love or compassion for others.


God, help me! I know that all the spiritual gymnastics in the world amount to NOTHING if I don’t have love! In the name of Jesus, show me how to love like You! Show me how to show this genuine love You have given me [this agape love] to everyone!
..:♥:..

“You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that?”
-Jesus, Matthew 43-44, 46-47, NIV

..:♥:..

“But to you who are listening I say: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you.  If someone slaps you on one cheek, turn to them the other also.  If someone takes your coat, do not withhold your shirt from them.  Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. Do to others as you would have them do to you.”

“If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners love those who love them.  And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you?  Even sinners do that.  And if you lend to those from whom you expect repayment, what credit is that to you?  Even sinners lend to sinners, expecting to be repaid in full.  But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back.”
-Jesus, Luke 6:27-35, NIV

..:♥:..
Love must be sincere.  Hate what is evil; cling to what is good.  Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves.
Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse.

Do not repay anyone evil for evil.  Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone.  If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.  Do not take revenge, my dear friends…

On the contrary:
“If your enemy is hungry, feed him;
if he is thirsty, give him something to drink.
In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.” [a]

Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.
-Romans 12:9, 10, 14, 17-21, NIV, [a] Citing Proverbs 25:21-22

No comments: