..:♥:.. [The contemplations of one former prodigal.] ..:♥:.. [love.] ..:♥:.. [life.] ..:♥:.. [and other random musings.] ..:♥:..


05 January 2012

My world. My chance to make it better.

After much prayer and deliberation, I am so pleased to announce that I have accepted a one year assignment as an AmeriCorps VISTA.  The organization I will be serving at is BRACE [Be Ready Alliance Coordinating For Emergencies] here in Pensacola.

What Is AmeriCorps?  AmeriCorps is a program of the Corporation for National & Community Service.  It provides opportunities that make a big difference in a person's life and in the lives of others. It’s a chance to apply one's skills and ideals toward helping others and meeting critical needs in the community.

What Does a VISTA Do?  VISTA members commit to serve full-time for a year at a nonprofit organization or local government agency, working to fight illiteracy, improve health services, create businesses, strengthen community groups, and much more.  With passion, commitment, and hard work, they create or expand programs designed to bring individuals and communities out of poverty.



The Benefits of VISTA Service.  By serving through VISTA, a person gains new skills, friends, and experiences—plus the satisfaction that comes from helping others. During service, a modest living allowance, health care, and other benefits are provided. And, upon completion of service, the choice to receive either a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award or a cash stipend.


A Proud History of Service.  Did you know that President John F. Kennedy came up with the idea for VISTA? Or that VISTAs have played a key role in establishing many of the best-known anti-poverty programs, including Head Start, Upward Bound, and the credit union system?

What is BRACE?  BRACE’s Mission is to reduce loss of life, injury, property damage, environmental impact and economic loss due to disaster through fostering communication, cooperation, collaboration and coordination among community, faith-based, non-profit, private and public organizations active in one or more phases of emergency management.  Their purpose is to engage the community in disaster preparedness, response and recovery. Their vision is to make our community the most disaster-resilient community in America.

How prepared are you and your community in the event of a natural disaster, terrorist attack or other national security breach? Take this Readiness Survey.


I am very excited to see how God is going to use this program to impact lives in my new community of Pensacola. I'm so honored to be used by Him in any way!  Thank you so much to all who have prayed with me and for me and encouraged me in my journey thus far. It means so much to me!

Stay tuned for updates. I will be attending a 4-day Preservice Orientation & Training Seminar on February 14-17, 2011 at the Emory Conference Center Hotel in beautiful Buckhead in Atlanta! This will kick off my year of service.  Sweeet!!!

To all my loved ones, supporters and encouragers, be blessed! I love y'all!!!

[[You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden.  Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.]]
- Matt. 5:14,16

"We Are" by Kari Jobe (acoustic version)

No comments: