..:♥:.. [The contemplations of one former prodigal.] ..:♥:.. [love.] ..:♥:.. [life.] ..:♥:.. [and other random musings.] ..:♥:..


11 January 2012

Proverbs 19:11 ♥

My food for thought today:

[[A man's wisdom gives him patience; it is to his glory to overlook an offense.]]
New International Version (©1984)

[[Sensible people control their temper; they earn respect by overlooking wrongs.]]
New Living Translation (©2007)

[[Good sense makes one slow to anger, and it is his glory to overlook an offense.]]
English Standard Version (©2001)

[[A man's discretion makes him slow to anger, And it is his glory to overlook a transgression.]]
New American Standard Bible (©1995)

[[The discretion of a man deferreth his anger; and it is his glory to pass over a transgression.]]
King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)

[[A person with good sense is patient, and it is to his credit that he overlooks an offense.]]
GOD'S WORD® Translation (©1995)

And my personal favorite...{DRUM ROLL}...

[[Smart people know how to hold their tongue; it is their grandeur to forgive and forget.]]
THE MESSAGE (Paraphrase)

God continues to convict me about my tendency to be overly-sensitive and to over-analyze things in my mind. Sometimes it is something someone has actually said or done that has offended me, but MOST of the time, it is something I have perceived as an offense to me and the other person does not even have a clue that I am turning it over in my mind and brewing up some real "stinking thinking."  Is anybody with me on this? Can I get a witness!?!?

So, I came back to the old, trusty Proverb 19:11! It basically says to me:

1.    Sensible people are not overly sensitive - they don't get angered or upset over every little offense - real or perceived. (v.11a)
2.   When they are offended, they make a conscious decision to forgive the offense and put it behind them. This is their glory...their edge, if you will! (v.11b)










So, this is what I am striving to do more and more each day, with the Lord's help, of course! My stinking thinking used to be Satan's biggest tool against me, but then I learned how to fight it with the Sword of the Spirit!

[[For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does. The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. We demolish arguments and every pretension [vain imagination, speculation, lofty thought or human reasoning] that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.]]
2 Corinthians 10:3-5,
New International Version (©1984)

I just need to remember to capture these thoughts as soon as they come and not even entertain the devil's lame-o schemes! I've been letting him slip some fiery arrows past my Sword lately and enough is enough!!!

Amen!

No comments: